Three women linked to Islamic State arrested in Australia on return from Syria

Source: BBC News [UK State Media]

“Three women with links to the jihadist Islamic State (IS) group have been arrested on returning home to Australia following years in detention in Syria. All are Australian citizens. Police said they arrested two of them – Kawsar Abbas, 53, and Zeinab Ahmed, 31 – on arrival in Melbourne. Janai Safar, 32, was arrested after landing in Sydney. A fourth woman in the party, which includes nine children, was not arrested. The group are the subject of heated political debate in Australia, with the government saying it would give them no help to return. The children – thought to be aged from about six to their mid-teens – are to get psychological support and be assessed for possible radicalisation. Australia is one of a number of countries grappling with how to deal with the return of citizens – and their children – from Syria after the so-called Islamic State caliphate was destroyed in 2019.” (05/07/26)

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czj2emlv2kjo

TX: Father shoots, kills man attempting to carjack sedan with family inside

Source: KOMO News

“A Texas father shot and killed a man who allegedly attempted to carjack his sedan with his family still inside. On Sunday afternoon, the father and his relatives were sitting in a parking lot in Garland, Texas, near a gas station off Highway 66, when a man approached the driver’s side door and attempted to get in, according to surveillance video obtained by Fox 4. The unidentified father got out of the sedan and attempted to keep the man from entering it, while the rest of his family fled the vehicle. The father and the man struggled as the alleged carjacker managed to get inside the driver’s seat. Eventually, the father went around to the passenger’s side front door, where he allegedly fired more than ten rounds at the alleged carjacker.” (05/06/26)

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/texas-father-shoots-kills-man-attempting-to-carjack-sedan-with-family-inside-police-surveillance-video

Nigerian army says it rescued some children abducted from an orphanage last month

Source: SFGate

“Seven children and two women abducted by gunmen at an orphanage last month in the north-central region of Nigeria have been rescued by troops, the country’s army said on Wednesday. Authorities in Kogi state said gunmen attacked an Islamic orphanage that was operating illegally and abducted 23 pupils in an ‘isolated area’ of Lokoja, capital of Kogi State, on April 26. Fifteen of those abducted were immediately rescued. The troops intercepted and recovered the victims within a forest area in the state, army spokesman Hassan Abdullahi said in a statement. ‘The rescued victims comprised five boys, two girls, and two adult females, believed to be the wives of the proprietor of the orphanage,’ Abdullahi said. No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack. Armed groups attack schools and abduct students because they are seen as strategic in drawing attention and exacting huge ransoms, according to analysts.” (05/07/26)

https://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/nigerian-army-says-it-rescued-some-children-22246499.php

France: Sarkozy escapes second ankle tag sentence

Source: France 24 [French state media]

“Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy will not serve time with an electronic ankle tag as punishment for illegal funding of his 2012 re-election bid, an informed source said Wednesday. Sarkozy, 71, has faced a raft of accusations since leaving office after a single term from 2007 to 2012. He has denied all allegations in all cases. Last year, he became modern France’s first-ever president to go to jail, serving 20 days in a case related to alleged Libyan funding in his 2007 election campaign. His appeal trial in the case is ongoing. … a court on Tuesday decided Sarkozy would not have to wear the tracker due to his advanced age, the source with knowledge of the case told AFP, requesting anonymity.” (05/07/26)

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20260507-nicolas-sarkozy-escapes-ankle-tag-in-re-election-campaign-financing-case

US court releases alleged Epstein suicide note

Source: Le Monde [France]

“A US judge on Wednesday, May 6, released a suicide note purportedly written by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein weeks before his death in a New York jailhouse. Epstein’s cellmate has said that he found the letter in a book following a failed suicide attempt by the disgraced financier, several weeks before his eventual August 2019 death. … The letter had been sealed for years as part of the cellmate’s criminal proceedings, but was released by Judge Kenneth Karas of the US District Court for Southern New York after a request by the New York Times. While the document has not been authenticated, its release comes as questions continue to swirl about the well-connected financier’s death while awaiting sex trafficking charges. His death was ruled a suicide, but numerous security lapses at the jail and missing CCTV footage have led to persistent doubts about the official account.” (05/07/26)

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international/article/2026/05/07/alleged-epstein-suicide-note-released-by-us-court_6753213_4.html

Russia: Regime says Ukraine launched major drone attack after Moscow shunned ceasefire offer

Source: The Hill

“Russian air defenses shot down 347 Ukrainian drones overnight, Russia’s Defense Ministry said Thursday, in what appeared to be a major attack after Moscow spurned Kyiv’s ceasefire earlier in the week and tension mounted over Russia’s upcoming Victory Day celebrations. Incoming drones were destroyed over 20 Russian regions, including Moscow, according to the Defense Ministry, in Ukraine’s second-biggest aerial attack since Russia’s all-out invasion more than four years ago. The largest was last March when it launched 389 drones. The attack came ahead of Russia’s most important secular holiday, when it marks the anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II. Russian authorities have declared a unilateral ceasefire in Ukraine for Friday and Saturday. Ukraine had responded to that with its own suspension of hostilities from midnight Tuesday. But Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Moscow disregarded the goodwill gesture and launched fresh attacks.” (05/07/26)

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-international/ap-russia-says-ukraine-launched-a-major-drone-attack-after-moscow-shunned-ceasefire-offer/

It pleaseth the US crown to generously allow adults to use some flavored vapes

Source: United Press International

“The Food and Drug Administration approved some flavored vapes delivering on a campaign promise from President Donald Trump to ‘save vaping.’ The FDA gave its OK to electronic cigarettes from Glas, a company based in Los Angeles. The approved flavors are mango, blueberry and two varieties of menthol. Court filings show the FDA previously rejected more than 1 million vapes flavored like fruit, candy and desserts and nicotine companies sued the FDA for changing its standards unfairly, but the Supreme Court backed the FDA. … The FDA said in the announcement that the vape products will be age restricted via government ID and a Bluetooth connection with the user’s smartphone.” (05/06/26)

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2026/05/06/fda-approves-flavored-vapes/5121778072996/

Iranian Regime Reviewing US Proposal as Trump Makes New Threats

Source: New York Times

“Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman, Esmail Baghaei, said Wednesday that his government was reviewing an American plan to end the war, hours after President Trump put pressure on Iran to agree to a deal to end the war and renewed threats, fueling uncertainty around the negotiations. Mr. Baghaei said that Iran had yet to respond to that proposal. ‘After finalizing its considerations, Iran will convey its views to the Pakistani side,’ he said in an interview with the semiofficial news agency ISNA. Earlier in the day, another Iranian official had dismissed a reported proposal to end the war as a ‘list of American wishes.'” (05/06/26)

https://archive.is/VlMeE

ADP: US private payrolls rose by 109,000 in April, topping expectations

Source: CNBC

“Private sector job creation was stronger than expected in April, providing more evidence of a stable labor market and less incentive for the Federal Reserve to lower interest rates amid persistently higher inflation, ADP reported Wednesday. The payrolls processing firm said companies added 109,000 jobs for the month, a step up from the 61,000 created in March and better than the Dow Jones consensus estimate for 84,000. April’s gains were the best for the ADP count since January 2025. The March total was revised down by 1,000. Wages for those staying in their jobs rose 4.4% annually, down 0.1 percentage point.” (05/06/26)

https://www.cnbc.com/2026/05/06/private-payrolls-rose-by-109000-in-april-topping-expectations-adp-says.html

French carrier group moves south of Suez ahead of conditional UK-French Hormuz mission

Source: ABC News

“France’s aircraft carrier strike group is moving south of the Suez Canal and into the Red Sea in preparation for a potential future mission as part of a French-British plan for the Strait of Hormuz, the French armed forces said Wednesday. The southward repositioning of the nuclear-powered Charles de Gaulle and its escorts is the latest stage of a Middle East deployment first announced by French President Emmanuel Macron in a televised address on March 3, the day before Iran closed the strait. The move south of Suez puts France’s only carrier closer to the Persian Gulf chokepoint where a fifth of the world’s oil normally transits and where Iran has effectively halted commercial traffic since early March.” (05/06/26)

https://abcnews.com/International/wireStory/french-carrier-group-moves-south-suez-ahead-conditional-132708522