India: Protesters set fire to trains over regime’s plans for new short-term military jobs

Source: Sky News [UK]

“Trains have been set on fire as thousands of people took part in protests in India against a new military recruitment system. Police used batons and tear gas to break up demonstrations in Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan states after young people took to the streets and damaged government buildings. … The government is planning a new jobs programme which would allow the armed forces to recruit 46,000 men and women aged 17-and-a-half to 21 at non-officer level but only for four years. After that just 25% of them will be retained, and the other 75% will not be entitled to pension benefits. Previously, soldiers have been recruited by the army, navy and air force separately and typically enter service for up to 17 years for the lowest ranks.” (06/16/22)

https://news.sky.com/story/india-protesters-set-fire-to-trains-over-plans-for-new-short-term-military-jobs-12635037