FDA: Mushroom-infused “microdosing” chocolate bars sending people to the hospital

Source: New York Times

“At least eight people in four states have fallen ill after eating Diamond Shruumz-brand Microdosing Chocolate Bars, including several who had seizures or lost consciousness and needed to be placed on ventilators. People also developed high blood pressure and abnormal heart rates. The Food and Drug Administration has warned people against consuming the bars, which are sold online and in smoke shops across the country and come in flavors like birthday cake and cookies and cream. It’s not clear why the bars might have sickened consumers. Diamond Shruumz has marketed the chocolates as ‘trippy little squares’ and calls the chocolate a ‘microdose,’ referring to a term for a small amount of a psychedelic. But the company has said the bars do not contain psychedelic substances, including psilocybin, the hallucinogenic drug found in so-called magic mushrooms.” (06/10/24)